Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
The remarkable results seen with Photofacial treatment include:
• Removal of red and brown skin discoloration (especially “age spots” on the face, chest, and hands), resulting in a more even skin tone
• Removal of fine wrinkles
• Reduction or removal of fine blood vessels
• Increased collagen buildup, leading to more supple skin
• Smoother skin texture, making makeup application much easier and more uniform
• Vascular disorders (telengectasias, spider veins)
• Lentigo (age spots or liver spots)
The Prolite II is not a laser - it uses a series of intense flashes of light to increase collagen formation, break-up pigment in the epidermis and remove superficial blood vessels. When used in conjunction with exfoliation treatments such as Chemical Peels or Microdermabrasion, it leads to even smoother skin, a more even skin tone, less fine wrinkles, and healthier skin. Ask us about combining these therapies!
Question: Is there something the Intense Pulse Light (IPL) used in Photofacials should not be used for?
Answer: Yes! We do not use this therapeutic modality for hair removal. A 2005 Study by the American Society of Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS) demonstrated that Intense Pulse Light is clearly inferior to Diode lasers (such as the Mediostar XT found exclusively at Chesapeake Laser and Skin Care) when used for hair removal. Many cosmetic medicine physicians are of the opinion that IPL can require up to twice as many treatments for similar hair removal results as diode laser hair removal. At Chesapeake Laser and Skin Care Center, we believe in using Intense Pulse Light for the problems it is most effective for- not for hair removal.